Briefs & Announcements – December 16, 2016


Disposition of effects
Air Force Capt. Kari L. Binger of the 962nd Airborne Air Control Squadron is authorized to make disposition of the personal effects of Lt. Col. Thompson C. Wofford III of the 962nd AACS as stated in AFI 34-511. Any person or persons having claims for or against the estate of the deceased should contact Binger at 552-0957.

Reserve ‘Scroll’
Officers wanting to transition to the Air Force Reserve must have their commission transferred to a list called “the Scroll” and approved by the Secretary of Defense.

The process averages 120 days, but can take longer. This must be approved before you can begin participating in the Air Force Reserve, which may mean a break in service. Even if you’re unsure about transitioning to the Reserve, the Scroll process can be initiated. For information, call 552-3595.

Special Victim Counselor
Victims of sexual assault are entitled to legal assistance services. Communication is protected by attorney-client privilege. The SVC ensures the victim’s rights, as outlined in the Crimes Victim Act, are protected.

Those rights include being treated with fairness and respect; being reasonably protected from the accused offender; being notified of court proceedings; being present at all public court proceedings related to the offense; being able to confer with the prosecutor; receiving available restitution; and receiving information about the conviction, sentencing, imprisonment, and release of the offender.

Eligible clients include all active duty military of all branches of service, mobilized Reserve Component members, retirees (and the dependents of these sponsors) who make a restricted or unrestricted report for sexual assault. For information, call 353-6507.

Priority placement
The Priority Placement Program and Executive Order 13473 provide appointment for spouses of active-duty service members, including full-time National Guard and Reservists, who are relocating to accompany their service member. The program allows spouses to register for Department of Defense positions and be considered for jobs offered internally.

Spouses are matched with jobs based on their qualifications and preferences. Spouses are eligible for up to two years from the date of the PCS orders and are in the program for one year. Spouses, can register at either personnel office. For information call 552-9203.

OTC Pharmacy Counter
The main pharmacy at the JBER hospital has opened an over-the-counter medication clinic for DoD beneficiaries, open from 7:30 to 10:30 a.m., Monday through Friday. Select “over the counter drug needs” at the kiosk. This is not meant to replace a visit with a provider.

Flyers and patients who are on personnel reliability program status, pregnant, or under the age of 2 are not eligible due to special needs. The clinic offers basic pain relievers, cough, cold and allergy medications and nasal sprays, ointments, and constipation and diarrhea medications. For information visit

Bargain shop
The JBER Bargain Shop, at 8515 Saville Ave. on JBER-E, is open Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays and the first Saturday of the month from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Consignments are accepted Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. For information, call 753-6134.

Richardson Thrift Shop
The JBER-Richardson Thrift Shop, in Building 724 on Quartermaster Drive, is open Tuesday and Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Wednesday from noon to 6 p.m., and first and third Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Consignments are accepted whenever the shop is open; for information, call 384-7000.

Home-buying seminar
Volunteer realtors and mortgage lenders present an hour-long seminar every Wednesday at either Housing Management Office from 1 to 2 p.m., which covers all aspects of home-buying.
For the JBER-Elmendorf HMO, call 552-4312, or visit Bldg. 6346 Arctic Warrior Drive. For the JBER-Richardson office, call 552-3088, or visit Bldg. 600, Room 104.

Pothole repair
The 773d Civil Engineer Squadron encourages all Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson personnel to report potholes. In housing areas, contact Aurora Housing at 753-1051. Other requests will be tracked by 773d CES. Take note of the location, including cross-street names or building numbers. Then email or call 552-2994 or 552-2995. Include your name and contact information for followup. Weather and mission permitting, potholes will be repaired within 24 hours.